Monday, March 7, 2011

Calling Guinevere

Yesterday Guinevere started her trip to her new home.


Unfortunately, she did not want to leave Johannesburg. She refused to pick up her skirts and make her way to the train station under her own steam. My uncle, who has been looking after her, had her forcibly hitched onto a flat bed and delivered with her ticket to ride to platform 14.

The fun did not stop there. She had an upper berth and was hardly interested in getting comfortable up there. A tractor and chain changed all of that. And then she played her trump card, standing too tall to squeeze into the available space. The problem was solved by the quick thinking flat bed driver, who deflated her ego somewhat, by letting the air out of her tyres. Cosseted safely in her cocoon, her new journey in life was began.

Right now she is chugging her way to Cape Town. I meet her this afternoon at platform 24. I am not sure what to expect, but it sure is going to be a mission getting her home Luckily, my mechanic has agreed to accompany me to our reunion. He will be bringing his bag of tricks and a heap of hot air. With any luck, she will fall in love with me, purr like a kitten, and whisk me home in 1950’s style!

We shall see...