Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Meetings with Angels

My time lately, has been spent working on an incredibly exciting project; the business plan for a Catholic film agency and television station. Obviously I know heaps about film, internet broadcasting, and social media. More precisely I know almost nothing about those things, but theoretically have a great business understanding.


It took some time for me to get my mind around a way to build a business around something like film. Film is fun but tremendously expensive. Eventually inspiration struck, then weeks sped by as I built the plan, and got everyone else on the project thoroughly excited.

It really was a great plan except for the fact that it required a heap of cash from a number of angel investors in order to make it fly. In itself, not a problem, except a long hard sell! So far, we have been blessed to find money for a trip to the USA, in order to approach some angels. This was a big step forward, hugely exciting, but meant our business case had to be rock solid.

Luckily I had a little inspiration and thought to send the business plan to a venture capitalist friend of mine. Then it took a while for us to hook up for a discussion. Then she blew me away! I guess she sees hundreds of business plans every month for a multitude of wonderful business ideas.

She was not too impressed with my plan. In minutes she had ripped the foundation of its argument to pieces and then she suggested I put it together in another way that was nothing short of brilliant. My head has not stopped spinning!

More weeks have passed and the business plan and financial model have been completely rewritten. They look better than ever; and hopefully angels will be lining up to assist.

I am very interested to see if we will be able to secure some funding. If so, I have no doubt that we will be able to attribute it to the incredible gift of a friend sharing her wisdom. It makes me wonder about the angels we meet every day, all rolled up into people who would never class themselves in that way at all!
I also jokingly suggested that I sign up as an intern in her business, but perhaps there is more truth to that need than I would care to admit!

No comments: