Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hats and feather boas

There seems to be a rush on turn 40 at the moment. We have 40th birthday parties coming out of our ears, but I am not complaining!

This weekend a good friend of ours did the nasty deed. She managed to borrow someone’s house, with the most magnificent view, and threw her thrash right there. She had asked me to set up a little photography booth where people could select from a wide range of ridiculous hats and feather boas, and then take silly photographs of themselves.



The concept provided me with a number of technical challenges, all easy enough to overcome with ones fingers on the dials, but not so when trying to rely on some automatic process. I gave up after five minutes and decided to set up lights and do the deed myself. It was a beautiful evening with lights twinkling prettily in the background.





Party girl started off the process in some ridiculous attire. Now this is where it gets strange. Most people cannot stand being in posed photographs. Yet let them put on a wacky hat and suddenly they transform into these camera happy beings! It smacked eerily of the movie, the Mask! It was heaps of fun being behind the camera as all sorts of creativity unfolded in front of it.


This was a happy party. Not much alcohol drunk at all, yet the place was filled with laughter. Just lots of really good mates connecting on some deep levels. A great experience, and the photographs tell an amazing story!


I now have a late New Year resolution; it is time for me to start collecting some bizarre hats. I just don’t know when I may need to be someone else in a hurry!

1 comment:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I love hats!!

What a fun party.