Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oh to have a brain

The last few days have been filled with special highs and some spectacular lapses of brain functioning from yours truly.

The family departed Cape Town on Thursday in a baggage laden conveyance somewhat reminescent of the Groot Trek. Travelling with baby generally means vast amounts of baggage, let alone the requirements of river rafting, mountain climbing, and business meetings!

We somehow found ourselves in Johannesburg with most of our sanity intact. Luggage, though, was a close call, with about a hundred bags making their way back into our grubby paws and one that did not. Luckily, this was the bag into which I had packed all of my essential climbing kit. The theory being to take this bag as hand luggage on my subsequent flights into Africa as baggage often dissappears into dark holes on these flights. Well I found one of those holes right here in sunny SA.

A couple of hours later and we were en route to Parys, a small country town about an hour and a half out of Johannesburg. My brother in law and his wife were shuttling us off to their 40th birthday bash. We had unceremonially dumped all 3 kids on grannies doorstep for some much needed love and attention. With horrow I discovered that I had left my phone with them. They would not be using it as I had managed to forget my pin and lock myself out of the thing. A situation only resolved by my neighbour rummaging through all of my documentation to find the PUK number and a visit to a Vodashop. But now I am getting ahead of myself.

By the morning of day 2, the venue looked incredible. Or at least this is what I was told as I am not the best judge of these things. The 100 chinese lanterns strung up on the roof were 'fully cool'! Lunch came at just the right time, lunchtime, which came just before our river rafting expidition. Donna and I teamed up against popular marriage advise and loved the 8.5km of paddling. OK, so loved is a strong word, but we had fun, and managed to avoid all arguments.

Dripping wet, we managed to fix our thirst problem repeaedly for some time. Sadly that all ended when peer pressure forced me back to my room for a shower and the use of my newly borrowed toiletries. 2 minutes later, I was somewhat clean but surprisingly thirsty, and made my way to the function to fix that problem properly. It was a great party and I helped prop up the bar and set the dance floor alight. Actually I did none of those things but managed to poorly copy some of those who did, for short periods of time!

All that brings us to now. I sit at the airport waiting for a plane as my flight was cancelled. I have new flight arrangements that may get me to my destination today. I may instead enjoy the complimentary service of some dive in Nairobi. Ah, the joy of travel in Africa!

Fortunately my missing bag turned up, although in a rather worse state of wear than when it departed. Presumably an eldery lady mistook her completely different bag for mine. Realising her key did not fit did not deter her in the slightest as she ripped off the zips with some pliers. Only when she had unpacked the entire case and not found her favourite polka dot negligee did she realise that she may have the wrong bag. Surprisingly all of my kit was there. Even more surprisingly, BA handed me a new second hand bag to replace my newly modified one.

I sincerely hope the universe is not trying to tell me something!