Monday, September 13, 2010

Divide and conquer

The mountain did not get to see me again last week. By Thursday my body was groaning that nine hours of exercise was far too much. Instead a weekend of lassitude provided wonderful compensation to my stiffness.



I did however pick up a book about some or other special forces experience in the middle of the Middle eastern troubles. An experience where death and murder were more common than corn flakes for breakfast. The author was clear on his views that he has been trained to protect every American. Potentially at the cost of anyone else’s life.


It got me to thinking about the divisions we have created in the world. Divisions along the lines of religion, language, culture, and even geography. Why on earth am I more important than you as a result of the space in the world that I inhabit? How many wars have been fought in the world to defend national pride? How many lives lost uselessly for this meaningless pursuit?


If we truly believe that we are created in the image of God, then surely every man is our brother regardless of race, colour, or creed. And if that is the case, then how can we see borders, boundaries, and colours out there?


I thank God that I was never chosen to be a soldier. On the one hand I can see why we need special forces but on the other, their use is a complete and utter breakdown in the values that we pretend to hold dear and true.


It is rather sad that with all of the clever people on this planet, we have not been able to figure out a better way. And in all our wisdom we revert to our national anthems, our clearly demarcated borders, our barbed wire, and our attitudes that this is somebody else’s problem.

Sadly, I am just as much to blame...

2 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Yeah....here's hoping we find a better way...

Mist said...

hey nice blog!! Will read further right when i get some time!

our blogs share many similarities.

check out mine! :D

http://www.bringbackthecolours.blogspot.com/