Monday, September 27, 2010

A humble stumble

Driving a car can get you killed, whether you plan for that to happen or not. Been driven can have the same consequences. Simple decisions that we make every day can make the difference between life and death.
I often wonder about the decisions that I make on a daily basis. Some are obviously more risky than others, like surfing in big surf, running down mountains, or playing beach soccer with some of my neighbours! The chances of being injured are rather high, but dying would be extraordinary.
Going off to climb Kili is one of those decisions I have made. And yes dying is a real possibility. Dying on this mountain is not because of the extreme weather conditions, although they may be uncomfortable. Instead it is the high altitude that is the sneaky killer.
Altitude sickness is completely preventable in all its forms. The remedy is to descend and to descend fast. The problem comes in the form of highly driven individuals focussed on a singular goal. Individuals who won't turn back just beacause of a few unpleasant symptoms. Ahem, guys like me!
There is a fine line at high altitude between toughing it out and listening to one's body. There is a lot of humility involved too. Do I have it in me to fail? To give it up in sight of the goal because it may be too risky?
We have just flown over Kilimanjaro. It lies thousands of feet below the plane, yet I feel it's prescence, a completely unknown. I am humbled by the thought that I may have some real decisions to make on the side of this rock pile. Big decisions! Funny how the remote possibility of death can do that to one!
Humility feels alien to me. I certainly have a long way to go if I want to live a humble life of service to others! Perhaps the decisions I make here will not only affect my climb but the way I plan to live the rest of my life.

No comments: