Thursday, September 30, 2010

Moving right along

The night air is punctuated with snores, grunts, an occasional Kiswahilli conversation, and of all things a radio! My ears cannot believe themselves as snuggled deep in my sleeping bag, they are subjected to a night of foreign chatter. I toss and turn, too hot and too cold, tired but far from sleep, and so I don't. Eventually grey light filters into our tent and begs me to get going. I am certainly keen enough!
Breakfast is welcome, more so the call to action; dwende. Day 2 begins with an incredible section of rain forest, each corner giving rise to something more spectacular than the last. Surely some of these trees have seen more than a 1000 summers!
And then everything changes and I find myself transported to a slice of the Western Cape, complete with fynbos! It is an incredibly long uphill slog, no respite, just up. The clouds threaten to engulf us, their cool mists a thankful shield from the sun. We walk on and up, each of us lost in the silence of our thoughts. I find myself deep in prayer, every step a tribute to all I know.
After forever, the path starts to contour and then opens up onto the Shira Plain. Walking is easy now, and Shira Camp 1 is visible far in the distance. In time it draws nearer until I am seated and being served lunch in our mess tent. A very welcome break as we do not stop along the way due to our slow pace.
We set off practically moments after we down our lunch tools. A tough 3 hour slog awaits. More prayer and more solutions to the worlds problems. Shira Camp 2 is beyond expectations with a wonderful view of the mountain we must still face. The clouds pile up just below the camp, absolutely beautiful. The sun sets in spectatular style through the clouds, illuminating Kili in pink. I rush for my camera but fail dismally to capture this fantastic vision. Instead it is imprinted on my memory forever. In moments a cloud engulfs the camp and the temperature plummets. I manage to sneak in a phone call home and am overjoyed to talk to Donna and the boys. Isabella screamed in the background, man I love these guys! Cell phone reception has not been all it was supposed to be.
Tonight I have an action plan to ensure sleep. Heaven help anyone who dares leave their radio on all night!

No comments: