Monday, February 8, 2010

Busy, busy, busy

I took last week off. Yes, a whole week of rest and relaxation together with me, myself and I.

Instead I found myself engrossed in all sorts of things, from photographing a wine tasting to detailed financial modelling of my business. There were also plenty of meetings and action items that required attention. None of which brings in an income and hence none of which can be considered work. I have now relabelled my week as admin week as it certainly did not resemble leave! One can do these things when it is your own business!!

Admin week kept me so busy that I did not even get to blog. To remedy this terrible situation, I thought I would take this week off, but unfortunately it has now been filled up with more stuff.

One of the things I will be doing this week is a talk to a number of post school students who are unsure about their futures. For some reason I have been invited to talk on entrepreneurship. I personally am not sure that I resemble an entrepreneur but I do have a heap of ideas and am willing to share. I actually have an incredibly fun session planned as the very topic gives me freedom to go mad. At the very least, a chocolate cake and a DVD of Braveheart will be making an appearance!

Then there a possible two days of work on a short project as a new potential client looks to evaluate my abilities. That should also be fun, as there is nothing quite like pitting one’s mind against a complex problem in order to come up with a solution in a short space of time.

I also have a photo shoot planned with our char and her family. A fun run on the weekend should prove, well fun. Then Luke has more surfing trials for which I need to get involved as his caddy! And then there is a desire to learn some elementary Portuguese in preparation for a trip I have coming up. If I am really good, I will also include a whole lot of surfing, more exciting admin, and perhaps some more work.

This ‘busy’ stuff of mine keeps me busy for all of the right reasons. Yet, very little of it includes time with my family. A lesson I keep having to relearn is that it is more important for me to be a brilliant dad than brilliant in the eyes of everyone else.

I hate letting people down, so if I am to be successful at this dad thing, then I have to do just that or ensure that people’s expectations are well managed. I could of course just say no, but that is not a word I like to use too often...

9 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Did you watch Yes Man! last night?

AngelConradie said...

Cool. I would love to be able to take a couple of weeks off to do the things I don't nmake a living off of (yet).

Christine Macdonald said...

As someone who never had a father, let me just say; I believe you are a great one. Keep it up!

Great reading you too.

Aloha to you and your family from Laguna Beach, California.

Brian Miller said...

nice. dropping by for the monday male piece over at gillian's. dad of two boys myself.

Fragrant Liar said...

Here from Gillian's. :)

It's very easy to let things get in the way of your best-laid plans. But that's the beauty of flexibility. Don't be too hard on yourself. This kind of detour sometimes has benefits you can't even see till later.

cat said...

Hi, great to meet you - saw you @ Gilz. I really enjoyed your post - and that you want to be a great dad. Way to go.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Your post is up today. You can put up a link.

Unknown said...

Hi there! Stopping over from Gillians!

SM said...

:) I need a week off with me, myself and I, but I'm not sure we'll get along.

Congratulations on being a new dad.