Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Birthday

It was my birthday this past weekend. Normally, this would mean very little to me but this year for some odd reason I felt like doing things a little differently. Nothing fancy, just a couple of mates around to my place; Cape Town style!

Life has been pretty busy and so my wife and I did not get around to inviting anyone until last week. Almost so late that it was probably better to abandon the project. But I had inkling that I would be hungry anyway, so we went ahead!

The evening was magnificent, as only the weather can be on days in February. The swimming pool was crowded with children and men modelling some usually unseen tattoos and hairy legs. The trampoline was pushed to its limits, the half pipe shared many of its splinters, and the soccer table drew great crowds as young and old plotted, dribbled, and scored together.

My custom made steel plate sizzled in anticipation of the wild mixtures of tandori chicken, chopped vegetables, sesame oil, soya and sweet and sour sauces to come. I opened the cooking festivities with an interesting creation for my wife. Her approval meant that I had cracked it on the first go and heaps of chillies would make my next attempt awesome; and hot as it turned out! Interestingly enough, not a soul blamed the chef for a mediocre meal!

There were no tables or chairs and forks were optional, although they stopped fingers from being burnt! Everyone lazed around on the back lawn on blankets and cushions, with my coffee table taking pride of place in the midst of it all.

I was spoilt by everyone simply by them being there, as well as a couple of well thought out presents! It was a wonderful evening and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact I would have to class it as the best birthday celebration that I can remember. There is something very special about being blessed with an amazing circle of friends.

And I realised how important a birthday celebration is; perhaps this is something I will do every year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a perfect celebration! Happy Birthday.

AngelConradie said...

It sounds wonderful! I am glad you decided to celebrate yourself!