Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Ugly Side of Life

Reality is that life outside of my little bubble is incredibly tough. We talk about drugs and crime but there are people who have to live with this stuff every day. They get to walk past known drug dens, see youngsters with things that do not belong to them, and know that they will soon be selling them to fuel their habit. For some people these youngsters are their own children! They understand that these youngsters are on a path to destruction, not only of their own life, but the lives of all around them. And they are completely helpless to change a thing!

Last night I was at one of my monthly meetings and listened in dismay to the stories of one of the men there. The meeting was a pre-school management team meeting and he is one of the members of the team. He was retrenched just over a year ago and has not been able to find work in all that time. He still serves on our team even though his children have all left the school. A desperate man, yet a man with an incredibly positive attitude and a life full of integrity.

His story must mirror that of millions the world over. I can’t help feeling terrible that I cannot do more to help him. Or can I?

He shared a story about meeting someone who is trying to help others break the cycle of drug addiction, crime, and prison that the youth of area seem destined to share. He spoke of this person with amazement and awe. Somebody who has given up their own comforts to try and make a real difference in the lives of others!

I drove home asking myself many questions. Mainly, why am I living such a comfortable life? Is there not something more that I can do to help?

2 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Unfortunately you can't save everyone! I got involved with POWA (People Opposing Women Abuse) about 15 years ago because I'd survived it. I guess you do feel you need to give something back because you can relate. It proved too much for me, it got too personal, it brought up too many memories and my progess with my healing froze. I had to think of myself and face the fact that I didn't fit the "trauma counsellor" profile.

I felt like a failure because I so wanted to give something back, you know? But I realised that I saved myself and I can pass that on to others in a different way (I don't have to be right in it).

Hope this made sense.

Mark Eames said...

Wow Gillian, thank you so much for your sharing and insight!! I like your view, save the world a person at a time in a way that you can (if I get you right)!