Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Arrrgggggg

I sit here blogging at 03h00 in the morning. Not probably my best time for blogging but yesterday will stand out for some time as a day that I realised I have no real control over my life. As a result you will have to forgive the graphic imagines!

The day was going swimmingly, my work effort was effortless, the kids were all busy, an advert was being shot in our front garden, and someone was coming over to check out our fridge. Yes for many months the fridge has been on the verge of breakdown, but just this week it has become more of a warm.

Anyhow lunch time rolled around and I heated up some leftover curry from a couple of nights ago. It tasted just fine, and I was soon back at my desk. Then it struck, a hot flush and bout of nausea. It made no sense and I was sure I would be right as rain in just a moment. Unfortunately I was soon in the bathroom moving my lunch onto a more comfortable location. I suspect a little food poisening as a result of a warm fridge and a couple of hot days!

One moment I had been fine and the next an uncomfortable shivering weak wreck. I lay on my bed hoping it would all pass. Instead my body allowed me hours of uncomfortable roiling in bed, while my poor wife got on with the joyous job of ‘day before school starts’ preparation.

Eventually I realised that there was no getting around me helping the last of the lunch, that was still lurking somewhere within me, to join its mates. I blogged a couple of weeks ago about taking the bull by the horns when needing to do something unpleasant. The unpleasant thing would then result in a far better situation; well here was another instance of exactly that. The old finger down the throat trick! It worked, and it was gruesome! It was not much longer and I was back for further conversations with Ralph, the big white telephone! Once again my side of the conversation had to be assisted. Although after this incident, I was able to pat Ralph on his head in thanks for all of his support.

All the time one thought keeps going through my mind. Pain I can handle but nausea and vomiting I cannot.


Oh God, comfort and soothe all of those poor people who are suffering this as a side effect from chemotherapy. My moment will pass but they have to deal with this for months!

1 comment:

AngelConradie said...

Dude- you have ALL my sympathy! I can't throw up... I am physically incapable of throwing up since I had my hernia fixed and I lived many years in fear of a stomach bug of some sort.