Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Perfection - overrated!

Being a wanna be perfectionist makes life hard! I like having my ducks in a row. Well, truth be told, I don’t have any ducks, but I like my books aligned on the bookshelves, flowers growing parallel to the bed borders, the pool sparkling, and all clutter packed away!

I like having a plan for life and then celebrating as it runs smoothly according to that plan. Lately though, the plan seems horribly flawed. Celebrations are few and far between, weeds are growing in the driveway, bugs are gnawing on the vegetables, and the dishes are piling up in the sink!

The rot seems to have started with the small members of the house; they just fail to fall into line when told to do so. What is with that? Backchat, whining, arguments, and tears. Even the animals seem to have minds of their own, pestering for food well before their allotted meal times. Everyone seems to be fighting; be it cat on cat or brother on brother. Have they not read the memo on keeping it together, sometimes backing down even when you are right! We will have to go through that speech again, another deviation from the plan.

Unfortunately someone also seems to have forgotten to explain the plan to the new madam of the house. She seems unfazed by the fact that she is still not adhering to the specified night sleeping plan, i.e. sleep when it is dark! Then she carelessly ignores the correct feeding quantities; preferring instead to want more when you don’t have it and not finish what you have when you do. This young lady's attitude is going to have to change and change fast.

Yet it is the smallest and newest member of the household that has opened my eyes.Sitting in the dark, tired as can be, looking into her wide awake eyes, whilst stuffing a bottle into her mouth, I realised something. Life has its own plan. I can choose to fight for my plan or I can accept the myriad of possibilities on offer. Each to be seized as and when they present themselves.

Sometimes it is just fine to revel in disorder and go with the flow. To ignore the dirty dishes, the bugs, and the weeds, and simply rejoice in being alive!

2 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Never forget, she calls the shots!

AngelConradie said...

Have you heard the saying: "You can make God laugh by telling him your plans"?
Its one of my favourites. Revel in the chaos dude!