Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Asleep or awake?

I cannot believe how one so little has been able to reprogram my world in just a few short weeks!

My world now spins around a new axis. My darling little girl! It is not that I want it to be that way, it is just the way it is. My memory must be failing rather significantly as I do not remember this being the case when my two boys were babies. It amazes me how helpless babies are. How on earth has the human beast survived when our starts are so fragile, so linked to a mother’s love?

Any yet, regardless of all of our other commitments, we find the time and effort, albeit with great difficulty, to be there when she is hungry, wet, and unhappy. Somehow we will do our best by her and make sure that she is able to grow into her future.


Unfortunately helping her means sacrificing many other aspects of life, the most telling of course being sleep. There are many other things that get neglected, like our other children, ourselves, each other, the garden, the house, the cooking and my blog. From having a highly organised life, we have devolved into a state of getting through the day.


Last night in my absolute exhaustion, whilst falling asleep at the dinner table in front of some good friends, I knew with certainty that this too must pass. Although probably not before my bad manners are exposed on many more occasions!

The thing is, I would not have it any other way...

1 comment:

AngelConradie said...

Aaawww... I can't wait to see more photos!