Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Baby

Babies! A word that evokes an emotion in all of us from absolute horror and disgust to cute and I want one with every fibre of my being.

They are such helpless little creatures, requiring assistance for many years before they can be released into the wild. Yet there is a one key ingredient that a baby thrives on; love! It would seem so simple, yet for anyone who has had their own children; the practical application is far from simple. Babies are hard work! Yet all of us once were mite size and somebody made the necessary sacrifices in order to ensure that we had both the skills and the life to get through to today.

I saw my new baby yesterday. Heshe is only about 65mm in length and in foetus terms about 12 weeks old. I was blown away by the detail on the scan. Actually this is the first time that I have been able to see anything at all, besides blobs, on a scan, so this was a surprise! I was amazed by the amount of movement; heshe rolled, kicked, and moved hisher arms. Waving at me of course!



My wife and I could not help wondering how people can make the decision to terminate the life of a foetus. Terminology and definitions of life aside, that foetus is alive and just waiting to explode into being; happy, healthy or not! To kill himher now, the thought makes me so sad...

It really is funny how love works. This baby is six months from being born and already I am committed to being the best possible parent to himher no matter what!

2 comments:

AngelConradie said...

Aaawwww Mark, thats too precious!!! Ultrasound pictures simply amaze... they're so detailed compared to when I had Damien.
Lump in my throat, but very excited for you.

Mark Eames said...

I hear you - Don and I were also amazed at the difference in clarity!

Your time will come!!