Thursday, March 5, 2009

A busy Update

I have been back home in SA for almost two weeks. Boy have I been busy. I suspect that I may be the busiest unemployed person that I know!

One of the things that has kept me busy is my new business. I suppose that this is not a strange concept to any normal person (maybe one day I will become normal). In order to generate more work, my partner and I have started to tender for some interesting government work. Last week, we managed to get hold of the documentation for a particularly interesting tender. In order to submit in time, we had to have all our work complete by last Saturday morning. I was amazed at the number of hoops that one has to jump through in order to be able to tender. From equity certificates to National Industrial Participation Programme agreements to tax clearances to our company policies on people with disabilities. None the less we managed to put our tender together and we think that we got it right. It was a big learning process for both of us as we had to get really creative in order to solve the obstacles that seemed to stack up one behind the other.

Our chances of getting the tender are practically nil but we are now far better prepared for our next submission!

The community side of my life seems to have blossomed. At one stage I did not think I was doing enough, last week I seriously considered that I may have taken on far too much! I have become the secretary for our church council, an organiser and MC for a men’s breakfast this Saturday, the secretary and treasurer for a non profit crèche, and a member of another committee looking after street people, whose AGM is next Monday. It also seems as if all of these organisations have burst into flower at exactly the same time with big requirements for the worker bees to get busy!

I am alive and loving life. And I am free to choose the things that I want to do. Who can ask for more?

1 comment:

AngelConradie said...

its awesome that you're busy and productive- not just busy as in driving around and doing the daily grind and not achieving anything!