Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Halfpipe Update

The halfpipe is coming along - slow but sure. It has certainly benefited from my slowing work commitments!!

I have now built the four curved ends and completed the base section as well. I still have to complete the painting work (gotta keep all of this exposed wood warm and dry in the wet Cape winter), the grind rails, platform, and decking. The end is in site!

I intend to have a neighbourhood braai. The idea is not burn the halfpipe but rather get all of the big kids like me, to lend a hand and get the decking complete. This is going to be a big job, and so a little family braai as a reward will make it worth the while. That and the adrenaline rush of actually using it!

A spanner was thrown into the works when our neighbour casually enquired about the nature of this wooden construction. She was a little concerned about the noise. I thought about continuing to build it right next to her wall, looking into her lounge, but decided against it as I would hate any of my neighbours to do the same to me. This weekend saw some serious garden work being undertaken in order to accommodate it in a different spot in my garden, in my new vegetable patch!




And here is my oldest, and key rider of this beast, inspecting the work!



My son was also selected yesterday for the Boland surf team that will surf in the South African grommet games in Port Elizabeth at Easter time.

Building the halfpipe has been an expensive leap of faith. The exciting thing is that it will now become a fantastic training tool. A wave in my yard, that is not bothered by swell or wind!

4 comments:

AngelConradie said...

I think its awesome!

Mark Eames said...

Yeah I agree but then I am just a BIG kid!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark

I saw this blog after a search to see if any other older skaters were putting up anything. I'm in Pretoria, 35 and have recently finished a 4 footer in my back garden. The wife loves it. lol. Did yours get done? I can't find any updates.

- Gary
gary.bloom(at)international.gc.ca

Mark Eames said...

Hey Gary,

The halfpipe is all done - I have already sprained my ankle on it because it did not commit fully to the drop!! It is just over 5 foot in height. Check out these posts;

http://memadrantings.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-big-news.html

http://memadrantings.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

My wife wont go near the thing!!!!