Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Stupid Racist Idiot!

My partner related an experience that he had whilst standing in a queue yesterday.

It was hot and stuffy inside this building and flies abounded, pestering all in the place (as good flies do). The chap in front of my partner, a 19 year old, turned around and began a conversation saying, “Do you know why there are so many flies here?” My partner responded that he did not have a clue but would like to be rid of them. This chap then replied, saying that “it’s the darkies, they stink and attract the flies!”

My partner is a coloured man!

Just so that you know, “darkies” is a racial slur denoting all non white people.....

I thought that South Africa was doing incredibly well in terms of moving forward and burying the racial prejudice that once ruled our society. And then you hear things like this from a youngster. I sincerely hope that this was just one misguided youth and that nobody shares his prejudiced generalisms.

Can you believe that anyone could be so stupid as to share a racial intolerance with a complete stranger of the group that you cannot tolerate?

Oh dear, I think I have a prejudice against stupid people!!

1 comment:

AngelConradie said...

Heh heh... stupid people deserve prejudice!!! I have actually had to ask friends and family before to tone down the racial slurs (not that there are many, but they happen) when the kidlets are around.