Monday, March 23, 2009

At Long Last

My new mental strategy is not to stress about what I am going to do with the rest of my life. I am trying not to worry about how I am going to live a life full of value. Instead my strategy is all about focusing on next week. It is far easier to see what I need to be doing for the next week and how I can add the best value than trying to look forty years into the future.

Value does not have to be defined as what I do with the rest of my working life or how I am going to save all the orphans of the world. Those things are impossible to start as they are just such massive issues. Besides that there is no way to figure out the right answer before one starts. Instead the solution lies in much trial and error and the opportunities that life throws at one. I have been trying to solve my life from the comfort of my armchair yet life needs to be lived rather than solved.
More than that, value is different to everyone. I can add huge value to peoples lives by doing small things with great energy and cheer every day.

My focus last week was the completion of the halfpipe. I really worked hard on it and it is 98% complete. All the tough work has been completed and all that is left are the finishing touches. The kids love it! I am amazed at how fast they learn and improve. My skills are going to fade into insignificance shortly as they will soon be well and truly eclipsed by my children's abilities.


This week, I am focusing on upgrading the content of our new companies website. We are playing with an idea called FREE. Very simply, you give away your electronic capital (all the clever work we have done) for nothing! We shall see if this works!

Next week is still to be determined....
This focus has removed all of the mental anguish that has recently plagued me about my lack of value add. I am now able to enjoy every moment of life as it happens as I am able to fully live and experience it now. So far, my really short term focus has helped me to deliver value that I can live with.
I will keep you updated.

1 comment:

AngelConradie said...

I like short term thinking.
I plan ahead for the future in terms of insurance and such like, but I learned a long time ago that planning too far ahead simply bums me out completely when things fall through, so I worked on forcing myself to stop thinking too far into the future.