Thursday, July 31, 2008

I was just thinking about life. Not in a deep way but rather with a sense of wonder. I am alive. That is pretty sweet!! I can think and move and do all sorts of things. I can make decisions and see them play out, I can fly by the seat of my pants and hope for the best and I can choose to coast along.

Either way, I think I am in charge and of course I am not.

For the most part, I am the hero in my life. What I think, say and feel are the most important things to me. Like a great Hollywood actor, the star in this show is all me. The rest of you should all just fit in and make me look good!

I am trying to change but it is a mindset that has been built up and reinforced my whole life long. Look after numero uno! Don’t accept second best! You deserve better!

Through my job, I have been exposed to just how poor the poor are. Much has been written about how gap between the rich and the poor continues to widen and how nothing is being done to change this. Luckily in my show I have a house and sleep in a bed in my own room. I am certainly one of the rich ones. I also have a fridge and cupboards full of food. In comparison to the majority, I am super rich.

Are the poor really my problem? My bed is soft and my food tasty, why should I even care? Do we continue on down this road until a new age Robin Hood comes along and destroys society as we know it in order to find some sort of better equilibrium? Perhaps that is far-fetched but history has taught that all of the mighty empires of the past have crumbled and died. What makes ours immune?

The world trade talks have just broken down. The wealthy countries cannot agree to drop farmer’s subsidies. I mean why should the USA allow their poor poor farmers to suffer the injustice of cheaper imports from some poverty stricken peasants. Why should they suffer to relieve somebody else’s suffering?

I have no right to judge as I too continue to do what it takes to protect my families best interests. Unfortunately If you and I cannot change and put the interests of those around us first, we will get to watch as our earthly riches fade, crack, rust and crumble!

But if we can change, surely there is hope for all of us?

3 comments:

AngelConradie said...

it would indeed be an awesome thing if we could all change...
very deep post mark.

The Divine Miss M said...

I often sit on the train in the morning and evening and look at the people around me and I realise that every single one of them has a life completely separate from me. A weird feeling. They all live their lives and I know nothing about it. Everything goes on without me - which is a weird feeling because as you say you are the star of everything around you.

Weird weird weird.

I think that we'll always be a little bit selfish about our lives, cause it is our lives and our happiness at stake.

Mark Eames said...

Thanks ladies - love you support!!!