Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It has to be said, an interesting weekend in my life. One of the interesting things was a proposal from a multinational beverage company to undertake some work in Africa. This was a fork in the road that I did not expect. Certainly not now!

After six months of writing about the concept of money, power, and prestige, I now had to apply my principles in the real world. Do I give up this wonderful lifestyle, filled with family time and meaningful work on both my book and a number of charities, or is it already time for me to return to reality?

I don’t think that I have cracked the writing thing. Yet! My writing has improved dramatically since I started but it not yet in the league where it is going to sell numerous copies of my book. I have made peace with the fact that if all I deliver is a special book that is meaningful to my sons then this whole year will have been worth while. There are only a few chapters to go and lots of editing work but at least I am a long way down this road. Fear not, I will be finishing it!

If I get this contract, it could mean the start of my own consultancy, which is something that I had hoped to think about only later in the year, post the book! As usual, the timing of this opportunity is not as I would have planned! Sometimes, one needs to grab the opportunities that come our way. I think that this could be one of those times in my life.

Besides, I get to put into practise all of those things that I have been writing about. Perhaps this little practical will help my writing to mature further! Or perhaps I will discover that it is far easier to write about things than actually go out and do them!

No comments: