Monday, April 21, 2008

Today I had a most humbling experience.

I joined a group of people for a visit to a new self help shelter in a small settlement just up the road from my house. I have driven through this place countless times in the past and often wondered at the level and extent of poverty that existed there. Now I know and I don’t know what to about it!

This project operates out of an old train station. Strangely the train still runs past this station but no longer stops here anymore. I hear it took a bit of effort to wrestle this space from the relevant authorities. But cudo’s to all concerned as this beautiful building now serves a beautiful purpose.

In amongst a sea of shacks and ancient buildings, this lovely old station building rises majestically. Walking down the platform there was a new vegetable garden on my left, a sign of the new life breathed into this place. Walking along the platform I felt like I was walking back in time to a place where this station once was a lifeline. Walking inside I was surprised to see people lined up in rows and rows of chairs. Just waiting, quietly and patiently.

I suppose that these people had fought long and hard for their lives against every possible obstacle. Now, they were left with nothing but the care of a few concerned citizens. I heard that there were normally 300 people that got fed on a daily basis and that is before the cold and wet Cape winter has bitten. Today though, some had gotten work picking in the orchards. For the rest, stale bread and some vegetable soup was the order of the day, as it is every day! And boy are they thankful for this lifeline that the station has become once again.

I heard stories of how people have one set of clothes. Stories of how something as simple as being given a set of second hand clothing has made an incredible difference to the psychological outlook of many. That’s right, our old rags in the right hands are mental gold, let alone a physical comfort!

I learnt too how 130 more children in this village will become orphans before the end of the year. Perhaps I have become emotional and weak in my time off so far, but this was a soul destroying visit. My heart ached for these poor people. I have no idea how many child headed families and current orphans fight their way through each day but have no doubt that there are plenty. And what I heard and saw is just the tip of the iceberg, just a short run from my luxury house and car and many, many changes of clothes.

I watched this people get their meagre but life giving meals and shuffle out the door. Some stayed behind to wash down the floors and clean up. I too walked out of the train station where a train no longer stops and wondered what it would take for me to get off my butt and do something. There is so much to do out there and yet I have so many excuses to keep on not doing any of it.

Despite all of the things that I need to do and places I have to see and people I need to meet and life I have to live, am I going to stop my train at this station or am I going to keep on going?

3 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

My mother helps at a soup kitchen once a week, she also goes once a week to Nazarath House and plays with the AIDS babies and finally she goes to the local school in the Hout Bay squatter camp and reads to the children there to help them with there reading.

I have no idea how she does it.

I went to Nazareth House once and cried solidly for a week afterwards. It takes it out on me so much.

It isn't that I want to live in blindness as to what is going on, it is just that it upsets me so much and I can't leave it behind that when I actually do help out I end up so depressed.

How bad is that to say?

My mother is a bit of a saint I think.

Mark Eames said...

I find women like your mom inspiring!!! Sadly there are too few men and women like her to go around.

Do you think it is because we are afraid? Once we open up to the hurt and the squalor and poverty, there will be no going back. Perhaps we will find ourselves compelled to sacrifice more and live with the hurt and upset no matter the personal cost to ourselves.

I'm certainly wondering that and I dont think I have it in me to make the sacrifices required and that bothers me even more!

The Divine Miss M said...

You're right, it does bother me that I don't have the ability to make the same sacrifices as my mother. It is almost a selfishness that I don't want to feel that sorrow constantly.

The woman even wanted to adopt an AIDS baby but my father veto'd that as he didn't think he could handle it in their life.

I guess I'm just not that selfless a person.

My mother is a hectic Catholic and I think that she really has taken onboard the whole think of others first. It is quite amazing actually.

I sometimes wish she'd show me as much love and support as she shows these other people! She is as critical as anything to me :(