Monday, April 7, 2008

Have you ever wondered about Eastern philosophies of living? Is there an essence that we miss in our own lives and our society? Movies portray the heroes from the East as being these serene individuals with the most amazing power over their minds. They always seem so connected due to their absolute control and deep insight into life. The good guys often need wise advice from Eastern sages as well as a cup of herbal tea in order to regroup and defeat their enemies.

There are of course elements of Eastern culture that have become a part of the West like yoga and meditation techniques, Kung Fu and toys with lead paint. I have always wondered if there is something more that I am missing. Are there pearls of wisdom that I am sorely lacking that could possibly add vast dimensions to my life? Like most things, I had no idea where to start looking for this answer and so in true style I have put it out of my mind.

Luckily, I read a book last week, twice. It wasn’t that the book was so good but rather that it was filled with Eastern based practical insight to life. You may have well have heard about this book called ‘The Monk who sold his Ferrari’ by Robin Sharma. It really is a take on how to control ones life by using some simple techniques. This is by no means a religious book but my view is that all of this stuff can beautifully complement your beliefs.

For me, it was interesting to see a whole bunch of mostly familiar concepts presented in a compelling and comprehensive manner. If you want an insight into some solid Eastern philosphy full of good common sense, this book is a great introduction. Who knows, perhaps I will dissect it right here on this blog in time to come!

One of the key techniques that was presented involves time spent in meditation and reflection. This rocked my world!

An irony of my life is that I have all of this time and yet have spent less time in reflection than when I worked a full day job. Sadder still is that this is my year to determine where I am going and to set myself up for the rest of my life. Kind of sobering when you stand back and look at yourself and see the thing that you should be spending most of your time on, is the one thing that you have abandoned.

So I started last week to set aside some me time in the morning before anyone was awake. My time to reflect and pray. I have been rewarded with a clarity of purpose, a relaxed demeanour and the ability to deal with my children on a different level. As a bonus, I was there for three sunrises and one really spectacular sunrise. These is no doubt that these changes are hard to implement and maintain but they are worth it!

Now I just have to find a bad Chinese movie to star in, although there is no way that I am drinking herbal tea!!

No comments: