Wednesday, September 14, 2011

So Close

This has not happened before - a guest writer on my blog. Stevo of Stevo Images was so quick off the mark to describe the craziness of Sunday night, I got him to agree to share his piece right here. Stevo is also of course the intrepid photographer who documents my every misstep out on the waves...

8pm Sunday September 11 and the silence in our sleepy crescent is shattered by a single gunshot.

I pause the surf DVD I'm watching, cock my ear, raised voices, 2 more shots ring out!

I open the front door, the sound of my neighbour racking his 9mm punctuates the still air; I step out to see what's going on - it seems a moonlit night's skate mission may have disturbed guys who had another agenda. 

Within seconds armed response vehicles screech to a halt - "shots fired man down send for #@! backup now... over" - my eyes follow the beam of torchlight, the same direction the guns are pointed, and see a body, motionless, half on the grassy verge our gardener has manicured only the day before. 

The radio crackles, calls for backup now needed down the road; cars screech off, replaced by more emergency vehicles. 



I get told to move inside (and promptly return armed with my Canon) - crime tape now blocks the road.

Neighbours stand around in groups discussing what has just unfolded as police comb the area marking spent shell cases, gathering evidence. 

It seems the gang shot one of their own in a case of mistaken identity! Awesome!

I get called over by a police colonel and get told to stop taking photos of his crime scene.

Many hours later, I eventually drift off to sleep to the sounds of vehicles, voices and barking dogs . . .

This morning there is no sign of any of last night’s drama in the flowerbed . . .

More to come...


 

1 comment:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Gosh, how scary and exciting all at the same time!