Thursday, September 8, 2011

Nervous synapses fired throughout my body, even though I was well prepared. 35 helium filled balloons bobbed above my head as a guy in a tuxedo attached a lapel mike to my suit jacket. My tie was more than a little uncomfortable, having hung on a tie rack for years without seeing the light of day. The balloons tugged on my arm as they tried to rearrange themselves on the ceiling five meters above me. I shook my head to try and focus...



This was my big moment. A presentation to the Supreme Convention of the Knights of da Gama, an order within the Catholic Church focussed on spreading the Kingdom of Christ on earth. This group had contributed a significant sum to a project in which I have been involved, and they now wanted some answers. More than that, I had the feeling the majority were not in favour of this project at all and viewed the investment of a waste of good money. The fact that almost all of the more than 100 men sitting here in smart suits were over 60, and my project revolved around new technology and social media, I knew I was in for a tough time.

Errol Naidoo of the Family Policy Institute wraps up his presentation. He is a great speaker and I am more than a little awed to have to follow his lead. He is passionate about the family and spends most of his time in parliament influencing laws which may negatively impact on this fundamental building block of society.

My project aims to re-evangelise Catholics through the use of technology and new media. Not something I ever thought would involve me, yet this project has me hooked, and has the potential to make the world a more loving place. I pray that God’s will be done. I know if it is his will, the presentation will go well, if not, that would be his will too.

Suddenly the floor is mine. My colourful balloons provide a bright contrast to the dark suits and ties. I launch into my opening and time slows. It is as if I have stepped into a period of grace, where every word is measured and right, where my timing is flawless, and where this serious meeting of men is infused with laughter. There can be no doubt, God is at my side.

One of the highlights of my life was winning the MD’s award for best depot and being recognised in front of about 1,500 colleagues at a banquet. I had felt so alive, infused with my team’s success, an incredible natural high. I did not think I would ever feel that way again and yet, this presentation was better than that. Perhaps because it really meant something! It is hard to explain, but I felt infused with grace and abilities that were not mine. A special and incredible experience, I will treasure for a long time.

The presentation was well beyond what I would have considered greatly successful. I now wonder where it will all lead...

 
 

2 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Congratulations!

You look good in a tie and should be part of a Colegate Commercial with teeth so perfectly white!

Mark Eames said...

Funny woman!!!