Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Swan Puddle

Dear Agony Auntie,


Auntie, I am very fit, probably as fit as I was when I was rowing in high school. A very long time ago! I am strong too, although I still cannot pick up my wife and balance her on my bicep whilst looking cool. I will keep practising though!

I was so excited to go to Judo on Monday night. With so many Boland team members in our club, it was bound to be a tough session in order to help all of them prepare to represent our province at the Nationals in 8 weeks time.

At the end of our training, I performed a very special move. I stepped backwards to avoid a lunge from my partner. At the same time I pointed the toes of my left foot, turned away from him, and dropped all of my weight onto that same foot. I was as graceful as a gazelle. Until I heard a soft pop-pop sound and collapsed into a puddle of my own sweat. It would seem that I had sprained my foot, partially tearing one of the ligaments.

The injury is annoying but there is some else that is worrying me to bits. Is it possible that I am better suited to ballet than Judo? Even more concerning, is it possible that I am not as tough as a ballet dancer?

Footloose and Very Afraid.


PS - I have attached a photo of my foot together with my second ankle to highlight my concerns.

3 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I've torn ligaments in my ankle before but I was young drunk and wearing stilettos.

AngelConradie said...

Oooowwwww!!!
I've torn ligaments... but I was walking around in the dark at "Rocking The Gardens"!
:D

Mark Eames said...

Sadly this is not my first time either but I am surprised at how quickly it has healed!

Angel, I remember your post on that, I think yours was more painful! I am just frustrated - want to get up and RUN!

And I will stay away from mixing booze & stilettos, forever, just in case...