Friday, April 15, 2011

Holiday

I arrived back from the Big Smoke exhausted. The facilitation of two days of training had taken heaps out of me. My bed was calling but first my small suitcase needed to be unpacked and then the car packed with holiday stuff. In the morning, we would depart for Victoria Bay for a couple of days of family time.

The trip was eventful. For some reason I awoke at 04h00 and bundled the family into the car. This proved to be a major win as the highway was closed in two places. Our early departure meant that we managed to sneak through both detours without too much fuss. The second detour was heaps of fun as we rallied along farm roads in the pouring rain. For the many many trucks stuck on the same farms roads, not so much fun!

Vic Bay is a beautiful little cove, just outside of a town called George. There are only about 10 houses on the beachfront which boasts an incredible right hand point surf break. Part of the joy of this place is that one can watch the most incredible surfers pushing their limits all day long from the comfort of the couch in the lounge. If my family is really patient, they can see me hacking away on those same waves. Having the time of my life!

We arrived to find the sea in an unruly mess, big and thoroughly disorderly. Not a soul in the water. Every now and then, beautiful big waves would crash through the point and roll into the bay. It was enough to convince me to get out there and take my chances. Pot luck rules that session, but I scored some wonderful rides.

Sitting in the water, I could feel my whole body relaxing. I had not realised just how much I needed this break!

In our 5 days, all of the boys managed to push some surfing boundaries. Even Isabella discovered that adrenaline is her thing as she and Luke zoomed around the wet beach on his skim board. Although, I am not sure this is a good thing...

Nothing quite like a good family holiday at the beach!


2 comments:

AngelConradie said...

Oh my goodness Mark look how she's grown!!!
Family holidays are some of my favourite memories.

Mark Eames said...

So right - I had not thought about it - but when I do, no clear memories of slaving over homework or mowing the lawn!