Thursday, April 28, 2011

Old Times

We had a lovely Easter. Part of its loveliness was a big family lunch!

Later in the afternoon my uncle shared two pictures he had of my mother and I, which led us into a discussion about family photographs. Over the years I have managed to get my hands on a couple of my grandfathers photograph albums. They are filled with pictures from his part in World War 2. Some of the pictures are absolutely incredible, others plan grisly.



I was a kid when my grandfather passed away, and sadly knew very little about him. My uncle however started to share many stories from his own youth about his dad. I was a little surprised at some of the things that he told me. I heard that he was a great hockey player and played the flute. My dad never played sport and so I never suspected a hockey history. Interestingly, I love hockey, and both my boys seem to have a real talent for it. Luke has been pestering us for the better part of a year to play the flute. Strangely, he had no idea why it was important to him.


It got me to wondering if there are some things hard coded into our genes?

I now have a new photographic project, to scan and fix all of these old photographs. One day I may even finish my old photographic project, which is to scan and fix my father in law’s slides.

It was a wonderful afternoon. It did highlight how important a shared history is, and the value of old photographs. They are wonderful heirlooms.



It also made me realise how sad it is that I have lost the connection with my own father...

3 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I love old photos. Please share more.

Look how brown you are as a wee boy???

We also had a VW Beatle when I was growing up. My dad drove his canary yellow one it died! Bits fell off it and it still went! It was a great wee car.

AngelConradie said...

Ah I LOVE photos!
As for the hard coded genes, I have had my opinions rattled more than once with my son and his father only meeting and spending time together after my son turned 19. They are so alike- in looks, likes, dislikes and mannerisms- that its quite incredible to think his father had no influence on how he grew up!

Mark Eames said...

Genes are rather incredible! I fear for my kids!!!!

As for being brown - I still am...