Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sacrifice

I am amazed at how time flies.


Donna and I have just celebrated 13 years of marriage. Isabella has turned one. We have been in Cape Town for 7 years. I have been on my own, business wise, for almost 3 years. Matthew starts big school in just over a month.

I think everyone understands on some level how fast things move, yet we don’t seem to notice it. Perhaps not until Christmas shopping time when everyone comments on how the year has flown by. The same sentence usually ends with the wishing away of time as they explain how much they are looking forward to taking a break.

Last night we attended Luke’s junior preparatory prize giving. It was very sweet and all of the children were recognised for their strengths. I realised just how little time I have left with my lovely little boy before he turns into a raging hormone. This clock is ticking and there is no turning it back!

If I really want to make a difference in his life; and for that matter a difference in the lives of anyone around me, I have to do it now!

What that means is that I need to sacrifice some of the things I want and like to do. That time and energy, I need to invest in him. Of course there is a good chance I could carry on the way we always have, and he would turn out just fine.


But what if that just is not enough?

1 comment: