Thursday, November 18, 2010

A new colour belt

I like to be prepared for anything that I do. Perhaps too prepared! If I need to know something, I like to research it, think about, day dream about it, and eventually go and do it. I like to know absolutely everything I need to know for any test I may take. I hate not knowing. I suppose not knowing is a personal failure and I don’t like failing.


Right now I feel like a bad parent. I did not adequately prepare my boys for their Judo grading on Monday night. We went through their stuff together a couple of times over the weekend, but they still needed more work. A lot more work, I thought! Hence my absolute surprise at their confidence and calmness as they were called up to grade.

My immediate thought was that they just did not know what they did not know. Yet every time, I looked over to the grading, they looked assured and executed some lovely throws. Hopefully, the right throws!

Afterwards, both were very happy with how it had all gone. Nonchalant!

I have to grade on Friday and am a little concerned. Adding some pressure is the presence of a Boland official at the grading. I am going to have to be on top of my game. Luckily, Wednesday night saw us learning an 18 throw Kata for the first time. And it will be tested on Friday!

I have a lot of work to do before Friday, and sadly none of my children’s confidence or calmness!

1 comment:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Don't be so hard on yourself.

All good things come to those who wait.

keep it simple!