Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Surfing with the Family

On Friday morning, my wife kidnapped me from the corporate world and made me drive the family to Vic Bay for a quick family holiday. It really was tough to be dragged off against my will to stay at one of my favourite places in the Cape. If you don’t know Vic Bay, it is this beautiful spot nestled at the bottom of an incredible ravine and boasts one of the premier right hand wave breaks in the country. There are perhaps 10 houses that line the only road along one side of the bay and that is it!! I think this must be the closest one can stay to breaking waves, literally, a hop, a skip, and a jump!

The windows of our accommodation look out into the bay, making me feel like I am watching surfing movies all day as unbelievable surfers shred the waves. Then I get into the water and the standard drops considerably.

With every good thing, sometimes there are downsides, and Vic Bay is no exception. If you are a class act surfer, and there are many here, you end up trading waves with the other class act surfers and the rest of the dudes in the water paddle out of your way and watch.

Then sometimes these class act dudes get it wrong and the rest of us jump in to pick up the potentially wasted wave. I have surfed pretty poorly in the water over the last couple of days, but this morning it all came together. What a wonderful feeling, cracking something that is difficult!

Even better than the surfing has been the focussed family time. Time with each of my children just doing stuff that they love from building sandcastles with Matt to surfing with Luke and simply holding Isabella. I am enjoying cooking and just taking my time over normal mundane activities.

Nothing quite like a holiday at the beach!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice one dude. It sounds like bliss.