Tuesday, September 29, 2009

We are back

What a wonderful weekend. Not only was I privileged to witness a good friend of mine ordained as a Catholic priest but also found myself immersed in the warmth of old friendships.

Justin’s ordination, about which I shall blog more later, was a catalyst for bringing together school friends from 19 years ago. Sure, we have seen each other on occasions since then, but this was the first time that we were all together. Truly frightening was that all of these old friends had discovered the art of procreation and perfected it in their numerous offspring. Out of 7 mates, there are now 14 children and 2 current pregnancies. And one of those friends is a priest and does not count!

Amongst them, I found a comrade who also shares a love of old Fords with big engines that like to drink! Lots!

Besides the school mates, the weekend gave us the opportunity to reconnect with a number of our Johannesburg friends. To write that I have been extra ordinarily blessed with a number of incredibly deep male friendships would be an understatement! I am still great mates with one of the first bosses of my working career, from my time at the Johannesburg Council. It is a relationship which needs little in the form of daily, weekly or even monthly maintenance, yet when we get together we connect so deeply that a conversation is a holiday! We both have this feeling that in the future, we will end up doing some good together. I have no idea what it may be, but it is comforting to know that at least one heavyweight is prepared to fight at my side!

And then there was the time spent with heaps of friends and family, all most appreciated and thoroughly relaxing. There is nothing like time spent with others! To all of those friends and family that entertained us with love and copious amounts of food; we love you guys!

2 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

welcome back!

AngelConradie said...

It certainly sounds like you had a wonderful time.