Thursday, September 3, 2009

Oh the Pain

There are a number of different reactions in my home to two certain evenings in the week. I fear these events because I know that I am going to get beaten up and return home to my wife a tired, bruised, and very sweaty man. She does not always approve!

My kids look forward to these evenings with a longing that borders on desperation. They get to go out and fight with other children and play rough without any fear of an authority figure breaking it up! Well at least as long as they are fighting as they have been taught. For a kid, utopia!

My wife gets a blissful two hours of alone time. I have no idea what she does, but I think she secretly revels in the solitude, and the excess stores of chocolate.

Yes, judo night! The night the three boys go off to the local Judoka and do our best to learn rudimentary Japanese and throw other people around! I have found much of the learning to involve me being dropped on the floor whilst incurring maximum pain and skin discolouration.

Last night was that night again. After Monday night’s bruising episode, I was a little apprehensive. I sure don’t remember this being the case, when as a kid I did Judo with my brother. Last night I arrived at Judo, actually remembered my Japanese, threw other people around the place, and had a lot of fun! I do have some more neat bruises to show all the squeamish people who don’t want to look, but that just adds to an already great evening!

I am not sure that my boys have noticed through their haze of uber excitement, but their dad has really struggled through this thing. Up until yesterday, all of the effort seemed pointless bar the obvious father and sons doing stuff together benefits. But as usual, nothing worthwhile can be achieved without any real effort, and Judo is no exception. Hopefully the big lesson my boys will learn is the value in discipline, hard work, and perseverance.

Oh yes, and how to avoid applying for residency in a foreign country because you are a victim of life!

4 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I loved reading this and you're doing great with your boys. Teaching them Judo will benefit them and you in many ways...

Mark Eames said...

Thanks Gillian, it was fun to write! As they say; no pain no gain!

AngelConradie said...

I love that you and the boys do this together!
So are you going to do ballet with your little girl one day?

Mark Eames said...

Angel,tough question, I HATE ballet.....gonna have to change my attitude! At least I read a book on ballet recently!!!