Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cheating again

News24 carried a story yesterday titled ‘Why woman stray’. It carried the by line ‘find out why more and more woman are straying’. Now I know this is unfair and even my mom has told me in no uncertain terms that it is not just women but also men who stray. Yes it takes two to tango...

http://www.women24.com/Content/LoveAndSex/SexAndSizzle/2418/6170efc381ee421dbab7aaf3c2127def/11-12-2007-01-40/Why_women_stray

I was a little surprised by the amount of comments to this post, filled with stories of cheating spouses. It is rather sad! Interesting is that those who cheat have these wonderful ‘legitimate’ reasons as to why they cheat...And that makes it all right?

Locking myself into a two year cell phone contract makes me feel most apprehensive. Sure I get a new and sexy phone but the forms, real fine print, and countless rules, make me sweat! In stark contrast, my marriage, which is a commitment for life, or at least the next 54 years, fails to create any of that uncertainty or angst. This may be of course due to the nature of my wife. An amazing woman who overlooks all of my faults and continues to love and care for me regardless. I am a lucky guy! We know that we are meant to be together, not because of some cosmic connection or star struck love but rather because we are both prepared to work at being together till death do us part. And none of that I can say about my cell phone!

To take this further, I think children are also a lifetime contract. Not an 18 or 21 year one, or until they are out of your house and you no longer have to pay maintenance. Children are a wonderful blessing but parents have to appreciate that the majority of their interests and desires have to be set aside in order to focus on the well being of their children. For the rest of your life!!!

Surely, if more of us were able to commit to our children in a really special way, they would feel more loved and become potent forces for good in this world? Perhaps they would be able to escape this never ending cycle of hurt and destruction...

No comments: