Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Gift of Children


I was thinking this morning about how blessed I am to have the children I do. Sure they often act up and act out, but they are all amazing individuals. I am most privileged to have been chosen to be their father. I hope and pray I can fulfil my part of the bargain and be the best possible father to each of them. To be there when they need me, and even when they don’t. To have the right advice for them in times of trouble. To share loads of laughs, adventures, sporting triumphs, and defeats. To hold their hands when they need comforting. To guide them wisely when they go astray. And most of all to love and appreciate them for who they are!

It struck me that all children should have parents who feel this way about them. That those children were equally blessed to have parents willing to sacrifice and serve, in order for them to grow up into better adults.

Even though I am the parent, my children definitely make me strive to be a better me. And that has to be good news for everyone!

It made me smile to think of other parents loving their children just as passionately as I love mine.

How wonderful if this was a blessing bestowed on every child, but sadly it just isn’t so!

2 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I wrote this comment on another blog this morning, which pertains to your post too.

We all want the best for our children. Its our job to set the right foundation for them to build on. Its our job to encourage the fact that they can do and be anything they want to be. No limitations. We never want to stifle dreams and break their spirit. We can learn a lot from our children and we in turn need to nurture their confidence to believe their dreams can come true!

Mark Eames said...

Too true!