Thursday, June 23, 2011

How long is long enough?

Five people we know have died over the last two weeks.

Sadly it was Swine flu for a school friend of Donna’s, a car accident for a church friend, cancer for another church friend, and two unknown old age issues. One of the old timers lived with his wife and three daughters in a shack. His new house was to be finished on Friday. He gave up on the Thursday, having lasted just long enough to see a better life for his family.

One cannot help but think a little...

The last two days had me in Durban presenting a customer service course to management of my old company. It was wonderfully nostalgic to catch up with old colleagues, listen to their stories, and immerse myself in their culture. A voyeur of sorts as to how my life could have been, had I stayed!

The woman who contracted me to deliver this piece of work spent those days with me. Last night over a wonderful lasagne our conversation went deep, religious, and surreal. Hidden treasures bubbled to the surface, a stark reminder of the soulfulness of each one of us. Her stories convinced me beyond doubt of the rightness of my path.

The airport lounge made for a chance meeting with a Judo comrade. We live a block apart on the other side of the country. We shared our corporate stories about the destruction of souls, values shattered on the ladder of success, and morals traded for flashy cars. Our lives  share many common threads, but our conversation was cut short by the pesky boarding of my plane.

Whilst winging my way home, I vacuumed up a gift from a clever neighbour called ‘The Last Lecture’. Knowing he only had four months to live, Randy Pausch wrote this book as a final gift of himself to his children. Randy weaves life lessons into his life stories, overshadowed by his imminent death. I blinked back tears as his candid wisdom struck home.

Two of those we knew had no time to prepare, one had as much time as Randy, and the last two souls had ages. I cannot help wondering if I am ready to go. Have I done what I was meant to do? Have I loved with all of my heart? Has my life been a celebration of God’s glory?

And if I have some time left, will I use it to make a difference or continue to live life with careless abandon?