Friday, January 2, 2009

Choices

I have 2 New Years resolutions;

1. Surf more
2. Focus

This morning both came into conflict!

Last night, I agreed to join the usual gang on a 05h30 surf mission. Apart from my resolution, I reasoned that I am soon going to go off to Ghana for a couple of days and wont be able to surf there. Best I take all opportunities now.

Funny that I had not given any thought to the other critical aspects of my life, like my family who will also miss me while away. The same reasoning should apply, that I should take all opportunities now!

Fast forward to a cancelled surf session this morning in favour of spending some good time with my family. That being said, they don’t get up at the same time and so I got to immerse myself in prayer and meditation. That in itself felt great, almost better than surfing. I suppose surfing is a pursuit for satisfaction and joy now, whilst meditation is about both now and the future. Just forty minutes of quiet time gave me the feeling that I had actually achieved something worthwhile this year, already!

I would have thought it far more difficult to sacrifice my surfing and yet I am surprised by the upside! Perhaps it is all about sacrifice for the right reasons that make the sacrifice that much more valuable and palatable!

No comments: