Tuesday, September 2, 2008

HOME Bru in Lusaka

I am an African!

I wrongly believed that South Africa was really the place to be in Africa. But it now seems to me that my home country is really just Africa light! To my amazement, I have discovered that the lands further north are full of interest and allure.

I was privileged to spend most of last week in Lusaka in Zambia. Just as Accra in Ghana surprised me, so too did Lusaka! It was not the deepest darkest Africa that I have imagined for all of my life. Instead I could have been in Nelspruit.

As usual, I got to go and see places that no tourist would ever get to see. My immersion into the local culture was completed this time with a stop in a bar. To be honest, we did not stop in only one bar, after all we were there to understand the retail liquor trade. This particular bar was in a very poor area but what made it special for me was that we stopped in an tested their local brew.

Africa is not the cleanest place and this bar was no different. Their Chibuku was brewing in a big blue drum. When we asked for a tester, we were given the bottom end of an old plastic milk carton. The communal cup! There was no way I was going to touch the thing for fear of a thousand different and equally vial disease possibilities. Then, I was handed this magnificent receptacle. And like any good boy, I lifted it to my lips and drank to the cheers of all the locals.

Oh, it was vile! Yet this is considered something worthy of a breakfast drink! The equal to orange juice, I think not!

I am still alive today, none the worse for wear. I am also a little less sceptical about dirt and disease, and am ready to meet my next home brew with far more anticipation!

No comments: