Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Too cold to play

On the surfing front, disaster! I have struggled for years with an allergy to the cold. Living in South Africa has meant it has not been a big deal, things are always warm here. It used to be well under control, but being a surfer in Cape Town has required frequent dips in freezing cold water, and so this allergy has slowly reared its frozen head. My last sessions in the water have each been worse than the previous ones. When I first get into the water, I am able to catch a wave, but then rapidly lose ability as my body cools.

Out of the water, it is easy to look back and see how both my body and mind slow down as I wait for waves. In the water, though, my mind becomes so sluggish that making decisions takes ages, even the decision to get out of the cold water again! And of course, in the sea, anything slow is punished!

The only solution to this allergy is to avoid the stimulus. In other words, staying well away from cold water would solve all of my troubles. Except for the loss of this wonderful passion that fuels my life! Like all allergies, one should not take chances, as in its severest form there is a short good bye.

I don’t like ultimatums, never have. Being a middle ground kind of guy has always worked for me. I cannot continue and I cannot not!

My mates have been horrified at my suggestion to throw in the towel. A sentiment which has given me great motivation to find a way to deal with it all! Of course they also think I am just being a bit of a pansy...

One possibility is to dramatically reduce my time in the water, perhaps limit it to 30 minutes, followed by a mad scramble to the shore. I could then pick up my camera and enjoy the rest of my time on the other side of a lens. Another solution is to replace my aging wetsuit, which is probably the major factor in my cooling, as opposed to being my warm safety blanket.

I don’t like the idea of my body determining what I can and cannot do. Many people have happily accepted the limitations their bodies have imposed upon them. Comfortable doing only what they find comfortable! I am afraid, I will not accept my limits, they will be pushed to the end. And I will enjoy the pain and hardship, together with the satisfaction of knowing I pushed as hard as I could!

Somewhere between swallowing mouthfuls of antihistamines and seawater, I hope to find the answer!

No comments: