Thursday, August 19, 2010

In their own time

I was sitting in the dark in Isabella’s room, being the bottle holder, while she slurped away. Matt was in the bath having a merry time. The bathroom is next door to Isabella’s room and merry baths do not bode well for sleeping babes! I had asked him to make it snappy and quiet, and once again I was being ignored.

I do so love being ignored!

Donna was out at an emergency woman’s only comfort party. I am really not sure what that is. Generally it is me who is out at some or other event, leaving her with the children. With her on a comfort break, it was up to me to hold the fort.

So there I was, my annoyance levels steadily rising without release. My sweet child slowly drifting off to sleep regardless of the amount of pressure I was exerting on the bottle! Out of nowhere I had this inspiration that perhaps my children have a different timetable to my own. I like to get things done now and as fast as possible. My children prefer to do it their way in their time and play all along the way. For some reason they don’t seem to get my way at all, which means that my voice gets louder, and sometimes tears roll down cheeks.

Merely minutes after my enforced silence ended in a babe in bed, I exited Isabella’s room to find Matt out of the bath and dressed. In total disbelief, I asked Luke to get bathed. He ignored me and started to draw another picture. I took a deep breath, entered my office and got stuck into some work. Moments later Luke jumped into the bath, and out again, hung up his towel, and got dressed without another loud and forceful word of encouragement.

Have I have missed this simple concept for their entire lives? Perhaps my children do hear me; their own interpretation of the urgency just differs? Are all of my requests are as urgent as I think they are? Do I need to accept that some things can be done in their own time?

My children are all asleep and I wonder if my new found insight will hold true in the morning.

Or ever again…

1 comment:

transit said...

hello my friend! warm greeting ^^!
your blog looks nice 0_0

by the way,
if you need to find unique fonts, you can go to our website.

best regards;