Thursday, July 29, 2010

Time for Nothing

Life is busy. I keep harping on this as I am unsure if I should change it or learn to accept it.

A friend of mine thinks that we suffer from time management issues. In other words we do not know how to manage our time very well. I think it is in fact just the opposite. We have learnt to manage our time far too well. Every moment is crammed full of things to do and places and people to see. It sure is fun, but I am left feeling very tired at the end of the day and sure that I still have not done the really important stuff that I needed to do.

I had a moment last night in front of my PC, whilst my wife’s book club met downstairs with big glasses of wine in hand. There were heaps of things for me to do but instead I did nothing for a couple of minutes. Minutes of careless abandon where I sat and felt the world go past me for a change. It was wonderful and refreshing as I thought about all of the things I should have been doing and decided that doing the nothing I was doing was far better than delivering any of those other things.

Then I got busy doing things again and I missed my moments of nothingness. I think I need to unlearn time management techniques and instead relearn how to dawdle and daydream!

No comments: